How to Apply for an Absentee Ballot

State Statutes allow anyone who is unable or unwilling to go to the polls on Election Day to vote by absentee ballot. Voters no longer need to give a reason when requesting an absentee ballot. You can cast an absentee ballot in person or by mail.

Please Note: If you are not already registered, you will need to register to vote before an absentee ballot can be sent to you.  A new registration is required anytime you move or change your name.

In-Person Absentee Ballot
You may vote an in-person absentee ballot at the City Clerk's Office starting two weeks before each election; ending on the Friday preceding the election.

Request An Absentee Ballot by Mail
Absentee ballots will be mailed to registered voters if a written request is submitted.

Or submit a written request containing the following information:
  1. Date(s) of Election(s) ... please be precise—see 2019 Election Dates
  2. Name
  3. Date of Birth
  4. La Crosse Address
  5. Address to which the ballot should be mailed (if different)
  6. Phone number
  7. Signature

*Photo ID must accompany the request unless it has been previously provided (photo ID does not need to show a current address).  A list of acceptable photo ID can be found on the Bring It website.

Mail the request to City Clerk's Office, 400 La Crosse Street, La Crosse WI 54601.
The request must be received by the City Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on the fifth day (Thursday) before Election Day in order for an absentee ballot to be mailed.

An elector may apply for an absentee ballot by sending a written request to elections@cityoflacrosse.orgNote:  If requesting an absentee ballot via email, only one person may request per email.  Example:  If husband and wife are requesting, two separate emails must be received - one for each.

You may also request an Absentee Ballot at My Vote Wisconsin.

Receive an Absentee Ballot on a Permanent Basis
If you are indefinitely confined because of age, illness, infirmity or disability, you can receive an absentee ballot on a permanent basis. To remain on the permanent absentee list, you must return your ballot for each election.  Note:  Indefinitely confined electors are not required to submit Photo ID.

Note:  If you are requesting an absentee ballot on a permanent basis, you must complete the Absentee Ballot Request form (we cannot accept just a written request).

Residential Care Facility Voters 
Individuals living in certain residential care facilities (i.e. residential care apartment complexes, nursing homes, etc.) have the option of voting at the polls on Election Day, voting at the Clerk's office during the two weeks prior to each election or voting at their facility when it is visited by Special Voting Deputies; by-mail absentee voting is not an option.

Receive an Absentee Ballot in the Hospital
If you are in the hospital and unable to go to the polls on Election Day, you can receive an absentee ballot by appointing an agent to deliver and return your completed ballot. The elector and assigned agent need to complete the absentee request form.  Photo ID is required of the elector; proof of identification is required of the agent.

Deadline for Returning Absentee Ballots 
The completed ballot must be received by the City Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on the day of the election so that it can be delivered to the polling location by 8:00 p.m.

Military/ Permanent Overseas Voters 
U.S. citizens residing abroad (intent to return is uncertain) and members of the military (including spouses and children) can request an absentee ballot and access absentee ballots online at My Vote Wisconsin.

Requests can also be made by completing a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). FPCA's may also be obtained by eligible voters from voting assistance officers within their branch of service, from a U.S. consulate or embassy or from the Federal Voting Assistance Program of the Department of Defense. For more information, contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program at:

Tel: (800) 438-VOTE (8683) — Toll Free

Please call the City Clerk’s Office at (608) 789-7510 if you have any questions.